Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Music Videos.

Do people still watch music videos?

I really don't know. I'm genuinely asking. We nixed cable last year and I've actually weened myself off of watching MTV online. Not that they played music videos anyways. (Sidenote: has anyone noticed that mainstream shows are actually playing good music now? Like Metric on Grey's all the time and Midlake on Fringe...I kind of hate it. Why do I hate it?)

Music videos are cool. And I like how bands have gotten away from just shooting themselves 30 000 different ways and are actually commissioning artists and seeking out super creative directors to conceptualize videos that perfectly depict their music. As a viewer we get to experience a song not only sonically, but visually. Double score. That Land of Talk video I posted last week is a good example. Stunning. It's just strange to me that as videos get better (more artistic, creative, innovative, etc etc), there are less mediums to view them. Thank goodness for the Internet.

Anyways, I digress. From my understanding this is what it would be like to take Salvia:


Ready, Able - Grizzly Bear
Directed/Created by Allison Schulnik.


2 comments:

  1. you love to hate good music in pop culture because our little secret is out of the bag. now everyone knows about it, I thought I was in a special group with people like me? now Im just in a group with everyone, not so cool.

    Its also the realization that you are being marketed too with something you held sacred. Ie. watching a CSI episode with a 2min segment playing Sigur Ros while they do the autopsy. Why didnt I think this was cool? Because its like your mom listening to the same music you do, because you can see the marketing guy in the background waving the 'indie' music you 'kids' like in front of your face like some carrot we rabbits want to munch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salvia thing... it's so perplexing.

    ReplyDelete