Thursday, November 19, 2009

I'll be in the Commod(or)e

Last night in a fit of nostalgia for my 1980s childhood I downloaded Jumpman. Somewhere between the Smurfs and Beavers I and my older brother became exceptionally good at dodging eight-bit intelligent bullets while sharing the family's first home computer.  I'm still trying to figure out the emulator because I've forgotten how to talk to a Commodore 64.

What struck me was, of course, the design of one of the earliest home electronics solutions to bridge the gap between work and play. The Commodore 64 was one of the most popular early computers, and also one of the first to insert itself into the lives of children. The Commodore paved the way for modern PC gaming, but is firmly rooted in the 1980s.

Take a look:






In terms of product design, the actual unit isn't anything truly remarkable. The logo and Corporate ID, though, are something special. It's kind of a pity the company isn't still producing electronics (are they?), but I really enjoy James White's contemporary take on the Commodore's aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment